Therfield in Directories, 1791-1882

See Name Index.  Extracts of more (post-1882) directories will appear here eventually.

1791 Universal British Directory

As part of the entry for the market-town of Royston, there are
descriptions of local villages, including Tharfield...
 
About three miles south-west, among the tops of small hills, hanging, as it
were, over Royston, stands the village of Tharfield, anciently Thurreweld, so
called from the hill on which it is seated.  The manor of the town was given
by Ethericke bishop of Sherborne, A.D. 980, to the abbey of St. Benedict, of
Ramsey ; and it continued in that tenure till the dissolution of monasteries, and
served as a pleasant retirement for the abbots of that monastery ; for there still
remains the old cell or abbot's house, making a part of the parasonage, and kept
in good repair be the present worthy incumbent.  The church was erected by
one of those abbots, who were patrons of it, and endowed it so well, that it was
generally called the rich priesthood of Tharfield ; and it is at this day rated at
fifty pounds per annum in the first-fruit's office.  Both the manor and the church
came into the hands of King Henry VIII, anno regni 34, at the dissolution of
Ramsey abbey ; and, after two years, were granted by that prince to the dean
and chapter of St. Paul's, London, who are still lords of it, and keep a court-
leet and court-baron here.


1855 Kelly's Directory of Hertfordshire

THERFIELD, or THARFIELD, that is, the field of the god Thur, is a village and parish in Odsey Hundred and Royston Union, upon the chalk range, 3 miles south-west of Royston, and 6 north-east of Baldock.  The village is small.  The area is 4,761 acres, and the population, in 1851, was 1,335.  The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, and Incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Robinson, D.D.  Here is an ancient parish church, an Independent chapel, a National school, and a British school.  On the hills to the north are numerous barrows.

GENTRY.

Drage Levi, farmer
Foster Thomas, farmer, Reed end
Gatwood James, shopkeeper
Gatwood John, beer retailer
Gatwood Thomas, 'White Horse'
Giffen Joseph, shopkeeper
Groom John, shoemaker, Dane end
Hagger Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Hale James, blacksmith & brazier
Hinson William, farmer
Kent William, farmer
Lacey John, parish clerk
Leete Reuben, blacksmith
Manning Frederick, farmer
Manning William, farmer
Noades James, beer retailer
Pettett Thomas, farmer, Rook's nest
Preston Barnard & Edward, carpenters
Preston Joseph, carpenter
Shackleton Mary (Mrs.), 'Dray Horse'
Sole ---, farmer, Five house
Spruce George, 'Red Lion'
Turney George & Thomas, farmers
Wilkerson John, farmer
Woodcock Wm, 'Bell' & harness maker
  Letters through Royston, which is also the nearest money order office.
Bennett Rev.Adolphs.Frdk.[Independt]
Fordham George, esq

TRADERS.

Albon George, shopkeeper
Ashman William, 'Fox & Duck'
Batt Benjamin, shopkeeper
Beale James, farmer & miller
Beale Richard Owen, farmer
Beale William, farmer
Bird Edward Rant, farmer
Chapman Thomas, butcher & farmer
Clarke Robert, shopkeeper
Clarke Thomas, farmer
National School, Mrs. Kezia Winter, mistress Independent Free School, Miss Philpot, mistress


1882 Kelly's Directory of Hertfordshire

THERFIELD is a village and scattered parish, in Odsey hundred, Royston union and county court district, rural deanery of Baldock and archdeaconry and diocese of St. Albans, situated upon the chalk range, 3 miles south-west from Royston, 7 north-east from Baldock and 3 east from Ashwell station.  The old chuch of St. Mary the Virgin having become dilapidated, a new edifice of flint and rubble stone has been erected on its site, consisting of chancel, nave, with clerestory and arcades of four bays, aisles and a south porch : the tower contains 6 bells, dated respectively 1689, 1626, 1656, 1597, 1608 and 1707, but at present the funds in hand are not sufficient for its restoration : the one bell now in use hangs in a tree in an adjoining field ; up to the present year (1882) 4,600 have been expended on the church, exclusive of the rebuilding of the chancel, effected at the cost of the rector, the Rev. J. G. Hale, who, in conjunction with his wife, has also contributed 1,000 to the building fund, the other principal contributors being, the Church Building Society, J. and J. E. Phillips and F. J. Fordham esqs. Mrs. Hornby, Mrs. De Freville and the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's : G. E. Pritchett esq. of Bishop's Stortford, is the architect.  The register dates from the year 1538.  The living is a rectory, yearly value about 1,000, with 67 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's and held by the Rev. John Godwin Hale, M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford.  The Congregational chapel is a building of flint, capable of seating 250 persons and was restored in 1867 at a cost of 300 : the minister's residence is adjoining.  Boteman's charity of 60 13s. yearly is derived from 38 acres 24 poles of land, left some time previous to 1580 by one Boteman, of Sandon.  Money Croft charity, amounting to 2 a year, left in 1772 by John Clerke, is given in bread.  Here are three manors ; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of one manor, Capt. Usborne of the manor of Mardlebury and the rector of the third.  The principal landed proprietors are F. J. Fordham and J. and J. E. Phillips esqs. Rev. Sir Frederick Arthur Gore Ouseley bart. Capt. Usborne, with some others.  The soil is mixed, heavy and light ; subsoil, chalk and clay.  The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and some roots.  The area is 4,761 acres ; rateable value, 4,831 ; and the population in 1881 was 1,175.

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank. - Barnard Preston, sub-postmaster.  Letters through Royston arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. in winter.  PILLAR LETTER BOX at 'Red Lion', London road, cleared at 6.20 p.m.

SCHOOLS :-
In 1876 a school board of five members was formed & the three schools placed under its control.  These schools unitedly hold about 250 children & have an average attendance of about 150
Board, Miss Schofield, mistress
Infant, vacant
British, Miss Georgiana Wood, mistress
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages & Relieving Officer of Royston District, William Barker.
CARRIER TO ROYSTON - Nathan Pratt, daily ; Cannon, to London on thursday, returning on friday

Andrews Mrs. The Elms
Groom Mrs.
Hale Rev.Jn.Godwin M.A.,J.P.Rectory
Howe Thomas, The Limes
Scott Rev. Joseph [Congregational]
Batt John, tailor
Bird Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Bonfield Robert, beer retailer & wheel-
   wright, Buckland
Bullard Joseph, beer retailer, Dane end
Bullen James, farmer
Clarke Robert, shopkeeper
Clarke Thomas, dealer
Drage Levi, farmer, Dane end
Gatward Sarah (Mrs.), beer retailer
Gatward Henry,pig dealer,Five Houses
   farm & beer retailer, Hoops lane
Gatward Thomas, farmer, Dane end
Griggs Charles, butcher
Groom Richard, shoe maker
Hale James Turner, brazier &c
Hale John, farmer, Dane end
Harper Charles, blacksmith
Howe Thomas, farmer
Jones James, shopkeeper

COMMERCIAL.

Barker William, relieving officer & registrar of births, deaths, & marriages for Royston sub-district

continued on next page...

 
Kingsley John Feast, veterinary surgeon
   & farmer, Hay farm
Lawrence James, farmer
Moule Frederick, beer retailer, Reed end
Noades Philip, beer retailer, Hay green
Phillips John, police officer
Pratt Nathan, shopkeeper & carrier
Preston Barnard, builder, & post office
Preston Joseph, carpenter
Preston Joseph, hurdle maker
Rand William, farmer, Hay green
Shackleton Susan (Mrs.), straw bon.ma
Shackleton William, shoe maker
Smith John, Fox & Duck, & shoe maker
Spruce L. (Mrs.), Red Lion, London rd
Stratton Joseph, shoe maker
Tucker James, baker & grocer
Turney T.frmr.Mardlebury & Reed end
Unwin Henry, farm bailiff to J. E.
    Phillips esq. Rook's nest
Woodcock Wm. beer retailer & saddler



The Name Index

Transcript 20th July 2004 Martin Hagger



HOME  Page last updated: 20th July 2004, e-mail: martin@hagger.org