The Old Church of St Mary the Virgin
|These photos are just a selection of those taken by the
demolition contractor. They are copied here with permission from
Herts Archives and Local Studies (HALS), custodian
of the entire original photo collection, catalogue reference D/P107/6/2.
|By 1874, the church (probably 13th century)
was in danger of collapse due to subsidence (again). A decision was taken to demolish
it, and build a new one. Many items from the old church were
incorporated into the present one, including windows, bells, pulpit, font, etc.
More information about both old and new churches can be found on the History
- The old church just prior to demolition.
- The demolition crew (judging by the huge hole in the wall behind
them, work had already begun).
- Part of the dilapidated interior.
HOME Page last updated:
16th February 2008, e-mail: email@example.com